I'm Not Sure It's True...

...that there's always sunshine after rain. But it sometimes really does feel like it. Well, perhaps not sunshine in the most skin-warming implicit form, but dots of blue skies nonetheless. Today, I woke up from a fuzzy head and, after sweating out a fever for three days, felt like the weight had been lifted from my shoulders. Quite literally, I felt light again (does that even make sense) - like the physical, tangible heaviness of my illness was weighing me down. I finished two essays (one which, frustratingly, I'd actually lost so re-wrote... Hopefully I'll learn my lesson not to be such an idiot in future).

I passed my details onto Pete at lunchtime and he booked our holiday (http://www.akrotiri-beach.com/) and its helped to lift me out of my January blues a little. Although now I'm pretty much going to be living off baked beans on toast and need to pinch myself every time I wander into Westfields, I'll have to keep repeating a mantra to remind me to be patient. Hopefully, just like The Island hotel, I can look back on that link and connect the dots with fond memories of where I went and what I had fun doing in the resort. 

I'm picking up my glasses tomorrow and I'm quite excited (hard not to be when I've been bed-bound for five days apart from one trip to Tesco's...) but it does mean I'll be grappling the wind and rain! It'll be so tempting not to stop for coffee and cake. Maybe I'll just go for window shopping instead... I do need to find presents for A and my mum... 

Everything is feeling a lot more peaceful today. I feel contented to just be here and under the soft fluffy clouds - when people across the country are wading hip deep in water and waves. 

W Beran Wolfe once said "If you observe a really happy man, you will find him building a boat, writing a symphony, educating his son, growing double dahlias in his garden, or looking for dinosaur eggs in the Gobi desert. He will not be searching for happiness as if it were a collar button that has rolled under a radiator."

Which I think is important for me to remember on days like these - that happiness comes when you're not searching for it. Although, looking back at the last few days, I was filled with raw happiness with Pete singing statements followed by "Lord have mercy" like at the Greek wedding we went to. I don't think I've laughed like that in a long time. 


 

Flickr Photostream

Twitter Updates

Meet The Author